Biomimetic and living materials: active matter at high densities
- Fernando Peruani (Université Nice Sophia Antipolis, France)
- Oleksandr Chepizhko (Department of Applied Physics, Aalto University, Finland)
- Hugues Chate (CEA, France)
The goal of this workshop is to bring together researchers working on active matter at high density at the theoretical and experimental level. The focus will be put on:
• The connection between theoretical models and experimental results on tissue formation, biofilm formation, wound healing, tumor growth, and related problems of active matter at high density.
• The design and production of biomimetic, artificial mechanical active systems able to reproduce some of the features of the above-mentioned living matter systems.
The workshop will also include talks aimed at providing a comprehensive state of the art of what is known of active matter at high densities, particularly at the level of the rheological properties of such systems. A review of the most common analytical and numerical tools used in the study of such systems will be provided. This will let workshop participants acquire the necessary (technical) glossary and concepts in order to set a common background/language required to allow a fruitful exchange of concepts, ideas, and results among researchers working on quite different problems and systems.
1. F. J. Segerer, F. Thüroff, A. P. Alberola, E. Frey, J. O. Rädler, Phys. Rev. Lett. 114, 228102 (2015)
2. S. Banerjee, K. J.C. Utuje, and M. C. Marchetti, Phys. Rev. Lett. 114, 228101 (2015)
3. X. Serra-Picamal, V. Conte, R. Vincent, E. Anon, D. T. Tambe, E. Bazellieres, J. P. Butler, J. J. Fredberg, X. Trepat, Nat. Phys. 8, 628 (2012)
4. M. C. Marchetti, J. F. Joanny, S. Ramaswamy, T. B. Liverpool, J. Prost, Madan Rao, and R. Aditi Simha, Rev. Mod. Phys. 85, 1143 (2013)
5. T. Vicsek, A. Zafeiris, Physics Reports, Volume 517, 34, p.71 (2012)
6. Y. Sumino, K. H. Nagai, Y. Shitaka, D. Tanaka, K. Yoshikawa, H. Chaté, K. Oiwa, Nature 483, 448452 (2012)
7. E. Bertin, M. Droz, and G. Grégoire, Phys. Rev. E 74, 022101 (2006)
8. T. Ihle, Phys. Rev. E 83, 030901(R) (2011)
9. S. Weitz, N. Destainville, Soft Matter, 9, p. 7804 (2013)
10. O. Chepizhko, E. G. Altmann, F. Peruani, Phys. Rev. Lett. 110, 238101 (2013)
11. O. Chepizhko, F. Peruani, Phys. Rev. Lett. 111, 160604 (2013)
12. C. Reichhardt, C. J. Olson Reichhardt, Phys. Rev. E 90, 012701 (2014)
13. A. Kaiser, K. Popowa, H. H. Wensink, H. Löwen, Phys. Rev. E 88, 022311 (2013)
14. A. Kaiser, H. H. Wensink, H. Löwen, Phys. Rev. Lett. 108, 268307 (2012)
15. M. Mijalkov, G. Volpe, Soft Matter, 9, 6376-6381 (2013)