Psi-k Training Graduate School
Burwalls and H.H. Wills Physics Department, University of Bristol, Bristol, UK
Graduate SchoolThis Graduate School is an activity of the Psi-k Training Programme in the EU-funded 'Series of Events' Marie Curie Conferences and Training Courses. The other two activities are Hands-on Tutorials and Summer Schools. The combined theory-hands-on Graduate School on electronic structure methods will take place at Burwalls and the Physics Department in Bristol from Sunday September 20 until Saturday Saterday 26, 2009. There will be 18 lectures over 6 days, 8 lectures on theory and10 lectures on electronic structure methods. The rest is all hands-on experience with relevant codes. Four theory lectures will give an introduction by E.K.U. Gross to Density Functional Theory (DFT). The 10 lectures on methods we will give a bird's eye view of 5 methods:
- ABINIT by X. Gonze
- Quantum Expresso by N. Marzari
- Exciting by C. Ambrosch-Draxl
- SIESTA by E. Artacho
- SP-KKR by H. Ebert.
- an understanding of the theories underlying electronic structure calculations
- hands-on experience in electronic structure calculation codes
- a perspective how these methods are used in state of the art research.
- The importance of electronic structure calculations of materials at the nano scale (such as catalysis, fuel cell research, magnetic recording and spin electronics, semiconductor technology, pharmacy etc.), has resulted in a sharp increase in the number of European groups (including industrial groups) starting with electronic structure calculations; these groups, however, do not have the optimal knowledge expertise for adequate training of their PhD students.
- The field of electronic structure calculations has become so broad that single institutions do not have the expertise to provide training of the entire field; only at the European level this expertise exists.
- The gap between education provided by university lectures and the much higher level of science in real research and at international workshops and conferences is steadily increasing.
- The combined training and research program, will give young researcher the opportunity to develop in the European Psi-k network at a very early stage of their career.
RegistrationRegistration fees for the Graduate School are £215 per person. There will be a two stage registration process for the Psi-k Training Graduate School.
- To REGISTER for the School you should login here and follow the Apply tab on the top of this page
- To pay your REGISTRATION FEES, once you have registered, you should follow the instructions below.
There are three options available to make your payment: (1) Credit Card Using PayPal
If you would like to pay by credit card using the PayPal system please contact Shirley Miller who will send you a PayPal payment request by email. (2) Bank Transfer If you are paying by bank transfer you MUST reference "PSI-K GRADUATE SCHOOL / YOUR NAME / YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS" on the transfer form so that we can track your payment. Failure to do so may result in your payment being misplaced in our bank account and your registration showing an outstanding amount, which could affect your registration for the workshop. Please use the following bank account details to complete your transfer... Bank Name and Address: Lloyds Bank PLC, Market Place, Didcot, Oxfordshire OX11 7LQ Account Name: Science & Technology Facilities Council Sort Code: 30-93-93 Sterling Account No: 00143698 (for payment in sterling or other currency) IBAN Number "STERLING": GB17LOYD 30939300 143698 Euro Account No: 59005079 (for payment in EURO's only) IBAN Number "EURO": GB42LOYD 309393 59005079 Swift Code: LOYDGB2L BIC: LOYDGB21097 (3) Cheque Cheques should be made payable to "STFC" and sent to Shirley Miller at the following address... STFC Daresbury Laboratory Daresbury Science & Innovation Campus Daresbury Warrington WA4 4AD UK If you require an invoice in order to make the payment please contact Shirley Miller who will arrange for an invoice to be sent.
- Please see http://www.psi-k.org/Psik-training/psi-k_training2009.shtml#Program009 for latest programme
James Annett ( HH Wills Physics Laboratory) - Organiser
Martin Lueders (Daresbury Laboratory) - Organiser
Zdzislawa (Dzidka) Szotek (Daresbury Laboratory) - Organiser
Walter Temmerman (Daresbury Laboratory) - Organiser